Citizen Complaints About Police

How do I make a complaint against an officer?

You can make a complaint to the Chief of Police or to the Mayor who serves as Police Commissioner. All complaints will be accepted either in person, by phone, mail, fax or email. Complaints made in writing and including your name and contact information are more effective, however anonymous or verbal complaints will be documented, kept on file and investigated to the extent that the provided information allows. If you are under age 18, you will need a parent or guardian to make a complaint on your behalf. If you are intoxicated when wishing to file a complaint you will be re-contacted at a later time. In your complaint, include as much information as possible about the incident, including what happened, when and where it happened and who was involved. Your complaint can be more throughly investigated if you provide your name, address and phone number or email address.

What happens after I file a complaint?

All complaints will be investigated. The department may use outside agencies to investigate criminal allegations against an officer. If you provide your name, you may be contacted for follow up information or to sign a sworn notarized statement. You may have an opportunity to meet with the officer in person and resolve any misunderstandings if you wish. If the investigation shows misconduct, the officer will be disciplined according to the seriousness of the violation. Disciplinary action may include a written reprimand, suspension or termination. If the officer's action is criminal, it will be referred to the District Attorney's office. Your complaint may also lead to changes in policy or training to prevent future problems. We take your complaint seriously and believe you should as well because you are subject to criminal charges and civil action if you make a complaint or statement you know to be false. You will be notified of the results of the investigation after a decision is made about the incident.

Will my complaint make a difference?

Yes, your complaint will make a difference.  Your complaint helps insure that mistakes will not be repeated, wrongdoing is punished and misunderstandings are resolved.

Printable Complaint Form


PD@HavenCityHall.orgImage of mail.gif

HavenPD.net Home